Our friend Crystal’s homemade mayo is creamy and delicious. Spread on your favorite sandwiches and mix up into salads such as tuna or egg. This mayo is fantastic. Enjoy!
Submitted by: Crystal Sykes
Take control over the quality of healthy fat you consume by making your own mayonnaise. Fresh and delicious!
Crystal’s Homemade Mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon fine salt – we used pink Himalayan salt and the fine grind. Found in Costco’s spice section.
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 pinches sugar
- 1 egg yolk *
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (calls for fresh squeezed, but we used already prepared)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 cup Safflower or Corn oil (we used vegetable oil) **
- Add the salt and mustard to a mixing bowl.
- Separate the yolk of an egg, and add it to the bowl. Beat until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lemon juice and vinegar.
- Add half of the lemon juice and vinegar to the bowl and beat.
- Now, add just a few drops of oil to the bowl, and beat. NOTE: If the oil is added to fast, you are in danger of “breaking” the mayonnaise. This is why the oil is added slowly.
- Now, continue to add half the oil slowly, while still beating.
- Add the other half of the lemon juice and vinegar, and beat.
- Add the remaining oil slowly, while beating.
- Let sit for 2 hours at room temperature, and then transfer to a jar or container. Store in the refrigerator, and use within one week.
* Reduce the risk of salmonella poisoning from consuming raw or under-cooked eggs by using pasteurized eggs.
** Tip: Add oil to a plastic squeeze bottle for easy pouring