This easy recipe has been a staple here in my home for many years. It’s always requested in the fall and winter months and even a few times over the summer. Great with a salad and a crusty loaf of bread.
Hearty Veggie Barley Soup
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked barley, rinsed and drained
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes or fire roasted tomatoes with
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 all natural vegetable or chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce, optional
- Pour the vegetable broth into a large pot. Add the barley, carrots, celery, tomatoes, zucchini and onion.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, turmeric, bullion cube and worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the rinsed beans. Stir. Cook another 45 minutes or so.
- Add parsley, cook another 15 minutes.
- The soup will start to thicken up. If you want to, add more stock or water to thin or serve thick. Either way, it’s delish.