Submitted by: Sanja Andreevska
In this fresh, crunchy salad the bitterness of the chicory is perfectly complemented by the fresh arugula, crunchy walnuts and smooth avocado. The tofu dressing boosts the nutritional value and makes a lighter, non-diary alternative to rich mayonnaise. You could substitute any fresh herbs, such as basil or coriander, for the dill, if you like.
Healthy Avocado Salad with Tofu-dill Dressing
For the Salad:
- 3 chicory heads, leaves separated, washed and dried or endive
- 50 g (2 oz) arugula, washed
- 2 large ripe avocados
- juice of ½ lemon
- 90 g ( 3 ½ oz / scant 1 cup) walnut halves
- sea salt and ground black pepper
For the dressing:
- 15 g (½ oz / ½ cup) fresh dill, any tough stalks removed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5 ml (1 tsp) clear honey
- 5 ml (1 tsp) soy sauce
- 350 g (12 oz) silken tofu
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 50 ml (2 fl oz / ¼ cup) olive oil
- Toss the chicory and rocket leaves together in a large bowl using wooden spoons and then heap on to four separate serving plates.
- Peel, stone and slice the avocados, then toss in the lemon juice to prevent the slices from discoloring.
- Divide the avocado slices evenly among the serving plates, arranging them attractively among the chicory and rocket leaves.
- Sprinkle over the walnuts and season lightly with pepper.
- Make the dressing by blending all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor or blender. Gradually add the oil with constant mixing.
- Season to taste. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
Cook’s tip: Keep any remaining dressing in the refrigerator for use on another salad, as it is very versatile.
More Delicious Recipes with Avocado: