Thank you to Crystal for sharing this delicious and healthier version of everyone’s favorite sweet potato pie. Enjoy every bite!
Submitted by: Crystal Sykes, Simply Playful Fare
A not from Crystal: This dish is typically a fall holiday favorite, but I can see me making it throughout the year. Since it uses all fresh ingredients the dish tends to be healthier than other recipes we have seen. I simply enjoy the chunky texture, something to really bite into.
Healthier Sweet Potato Casserole
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
- 2½ lbs sweet potatoes
- ½ stick of butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup marshmallows
- ¼ cup pecan pieces
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Melt the butter on medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pot with the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add to an ungreased casserole dish (9×9).
- Add the marshmallows and pecans evenly.
- Bake at 400 until the marshmallows are golden brown on the top.
Check out Crystal’s fabulous step-by-step photos by clicking here.