Submitted By: Jessica Flatley
Prior to discovering I had a gluten allergy, my first choice for dining out was always Italian, hands down. Since it is not easy to find a gluten free or dairy free option at an Italian restaurant, those days are long gone. My absolute favorite Italian dish was my grandmother’s spaghetti bolognese. I’ve modified my family recipe so I can still enjoy an incredibly tasty dish that is reminiscent of loving family memories. This healthier recipe is gluten free, refined sugar free and dairy free optional (just opt out of the Parmesan cheese). It is also made with tomatoes and quinoa, two superfoods that keep you feeling full and energized. For more step-by-step pictures, check out the original post.
Gluten Free Linguine Bolognese
Makes 6 servings
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 6 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- 28 oz. can Chunky Crushed Tomatoes (Plain, Unsalted)
- 15 oz. can Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 c. Tomato Paste
- 1 lb. Gluten Free Linguine (Quinoa or Brown Rice Pasta)
- 2 tbsp. Natvia (Natural Sweetener)
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Garlic Salt or 4 cloves Fresh Garlic
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 2 tsp. Parsley
- 1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cook the ground beef in a pot on a low flame, until fully browned (5 to 8 min).
- Drain the ground beef to a fine mesh strainer and rinse out the pot.
- Return the drained ground beef to the pot and add all of the remaining ingredients (except the gluten free pasta and Parmesan cheese!).
- Stir over a medium flame for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to simmer for 60 to 90 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers a pot with water, add a pinch of sea salt, 1 tsp. of olive oil and bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water boils, add the 1 lb. of gluten free pasta and reduce heat to a medium flame (10 to 15 minutes).
- Drain the gluten free pasta once fully cooked. Add the bolognese sauce and Parmesan cheese (unless you are dairy free).
- Have leftover sauce? The answer is undoubtedly yes! Throw it in the fridge, freezer or use it for my Gluten Free Zucchini Lasagna.