This simple and easy recipe can be enjoyed any time of year. There are always nice ripe tomatoes in the market. Even during the winter months. It’s a healthy and naturally sweet tasting side dish to accompany any main course or great for an appetizer.
Freshly Sliced Tomatoes and Basil Chiffonade
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, home grown or vine ripe from the market are good choices
- fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 2-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Slice tomatoes on the thicker side. Lay them out on a plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle oil.
- To chiffadone the basil, simply take off the leaves, stack them up one on top of the other. Roll up like a cigar. Now with a sharp knife, cut into thin strips. Gently break apart while sprinkling them over the tomatoes.
Enjoy this delicious and healthy recipe.