It’s always nice when there’s a farmers market that’s close by. Most large and small cities have them scattered around. Here on Long Island, there are many to choose from. Especially out east. Suffolk County where the Hamptons are located and Montauk Point. There’s so many to visit. Some only open on the weekends and others are open all week. Here’s a vegetable medley that’s from a local farmers market. Every veggie is from there. Of course if you don’t have a local farmers market, go to your favorite place to shop and look for the freshest fruits and veggies you can find. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, ask one of the people that works in the produce department. Maybe they have more in the back that just has not been put out yet. Enjoy this healthy and hearty recipe. Serve over pasta, rice or even a baked potato.
Farmers Market Vegetable Medley
Ingredients: Amounts and servings depend on how many of one vegetable you use.
- Red Peppers
- Tomato Paste
- Sea Salt
- Ground Pepper
- Garlic Powder, optional
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, optional
- Cold Water
- Vegetable Oil, such as canola or avocado oil
- Freshly Grated Parmesan, optional
Directions: Rinse all veggies before making any recipe…
- Slice the eggplant and red peppers. Wrap in foil and place on BBQ grill. If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can do this in the oven or on an indoor grill. Or, skip this step and add into recipe. Grill until veggies are slightly tender.
- In a medium or large saucepan, add about 1 – 2 tablespoons oil and remaining veggies that have been cut to the size you prefer. Add a small amount of water, about 1/4 cup to start. Add seasonings. Toss in the grilled veggies with tomato paste.
- Cook until veggies are tender and the sauce has thickened to the consistency you like. Sprinkle parmesan if using. That’s it, enjoy this healthy meal!