This sweet and sour style brisket is so simple to prepare and tastes beyond delectable. You’ll be wanting the dip some crusty bread in the thick amazing gravy. Enjoy with people you love!
A family favorite that’s been enjoyed for many years and will surely be for many more years ahead.
Family Favorite Brisket
Yields: 10 to 12 servings
- 5 pound brisket
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 can jelled cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth, more if needed or add water
- 1 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/8 cup cold water
- About 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Rinse the brisket in cold water, ( I use the large, deep aluminum pans. I just throw them away when I’m done)
- In a glass bowl, mix the soup mix, cranberries, and beef broth.
- Pour mixture over the brisket, lay the carrots on both sides and onion if using and cover tightly with tin foil and bake for about 2 hours.
- Take out and mix the sauce around and over the brisket. If the liquid is not thick like a gravy, take a measuring cup add the cold water and whisk in the cornstarch. Pour around the liquid in the pan and kind of whisk it in so you don’t see white from the cornstarch.
- Place back in the oven for another 15 minutes until the liquid boils.
- Take out of the oven, uncover and let the brisket sit about 12 minutes. It should look like it’s going to fall apart.
- That’s how you know you have a perfect brisket with delicious gravy. Slice and enjoy with your choice of potatoes, rice or butter noodles (our favorite)
- These amounts are for up to a 5 pound brisket, if you want to make a larger brisket, I suggest using two of the same size and doubling the other ingredients.