Soups are a staple in my house. We have soup for dinner at least twice a week. And, that for every season. Especially when I make the soups in my handy dandy crockpot. It’s so easy. No fuss and always delicious. Here is our newest version of barley soup. This time I added beef. You can easily make it without the meat too. We happen to have two other barley soups on the blog, one with chicken and one vegetarian. Check them both out and be sure to try this one too. The meat falls apart and is so tender while the soup is so hearty and tasty.
Crockpot Tuscan Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2cups water
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 large onion, either chopped or peeled and left whole
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh red or green pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 2/3 cup uncooked barley, first rinsed in cold water
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp grated parmesan cheese over each bowl, optional
- Spray a large crockpot with cooking spray or use a plastic liner.
- Place all ingredients in crockpot, cook on high 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
That’s it! Grab some crusty bread and a tossed green salad. You dinner is served. ENJOY!