Thanks to my dear friend Regina for another one of her spectacular recipes. This classic cream puff cake is so yummy a must to try and enjoy!
This one is a keeper! I tasted this unique cake at a recent office party and immediately asked for a copy of the recipe. I knew my family would absolutely love it! So the very next gathering I went to, I made it and the cake was devoured in minutes. Well, my family did not act fast enough and still has not had a chance to try the cake, but will very soon.
Cream Puff Cake
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 pkg vanilla flavored instant pudding
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp milk
- 1 1/2 tsp light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a large cookie sheet. Use a 7 inch plate to trace a circle in the flour on the cookie sheet.
- Combine water, butter and salt in a 2 quart sauce pan and cook over medium heat until butter melts and mixture boils. Remove saucepan from heat and add the flour all at once. Quickly stir until mixture forms a ball and pulls away from the sides.
- Add eggs into hot flour mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mixture will become smooth and satiny. Cool slightly.
- On the prepared cookie sheet drop batter by heaping tablespoons into 10 mounds inside the circle to form a ring.
- Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown. Turn oven off and let cake remain in the oven for 15 minutes more. Remove cake from oven and cool on wire rack.
- When the cake is cool use a long serrated knife to slice it in half horizontally.
Prepare the filling:
- Mix the pudding mix with the milk.
- In a separate bowl combine the heavy or whipping cream with the vanilla and powdered sugar. Whip together until thickened.
- Fold the whipped cream mixture into the pudding.
- Spread the filling evenly on the bottom layer of the cake, then replace the top. Refrigerate.
Prepare the glaze:
- In a double boiler heat the chocolate, butter, milk and corn syrup. Stir until smooth.
- Spread the glaze on top and serve.