The first time I made this, even I couldn’t believe how much it tasted just like the original from Starbucks. However, this one was a fraction of the cost and only took me a few minutes to prepare. Now, when friends come to visit, I surprise them with this warm and soothing drink that they love. Just a note, in the warmer months, I make this then place in fridge until nice and cold then pour over ice. Delish. So, you can enjoy this all year round.
Copycat Starbucks Chai Tea Latte
Yields: 1 large or 2 small mugs
- 8 ounces cold water, I used bottled for better taste, or tap water is fine too
- 2 regular black tea bags such as Lipton, 1 if you want a weaker latte. You can use decaf as well
- 1-2 tsp honey or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8-1/4 ground ginger or if you have fresh use about 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- tiniest pinch of sea salt
- 7 ounces whole or 2 percent milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped topping
- Cinnamon for sprinkling on top for garnish, optional
- Pour water into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add all the spices along with the tea bags, (take off the paper tags before placing into the water) Let simmer on low for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add milk and bring back up to a simmer. Take off heat, carefully take out teabags and add vanilla extract. Let steep for just about 1 minute.
- Strain and pour into a large mug. Add toppings and enjoy!