I Love a good copycat recipe. Especially when it’s a really easy recipe like this one. Gooey, chocolate deliciousness. Enjoy!
Have you ever had a Little Debbie Cosmic Brownie? Well, I have many years ago. They are wrapped individual and are a fun and yummy brownie. Now, these little gems can be easily made at home using all natural ingredients and they come out tasting amazingly delicious! Try this easy copycat recipe today and taste for yourself.
Copycat Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, I used cane sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose unbleached flour
- 6 tbsp dark cocoa powder such as Dutch, I used Hershey’s Special Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp fine sea or kosher salt
For the chocolate ganache frosting:
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp fine sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rainbow colored mini chocolate chips or mini M&Ms will work too
Ready for the oven!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease an 8×8 square glass baking pan with cooking or baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter let cool for just a minute then add sugars and whisk until combined. Add vanilla and salt and whisk. Add in egg and egg yolk. Whisk again.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder and corn starch with another whisk, to break up any clumps. Gradually add dry into wet mixture. Using a spatula, combine well but try not to over mix the batter. Dig deep to make sure all dry in incorporated into wet.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 15 to 17 minutes. Check after 15 minutes. Test with a toothpick, should come out with moist to dry crumbs. Try not to over bake. Cool completely.
- When brownies are cooled, prepare frosting. In a small saucepan over low to medium heat, add cream. Bring to a simmer. Add in chips, gently mix until combined. You can use a whisk to mix and should become shiny. Take off heat and add in vanilla and salt. Mix again until smooth and shiny. Let cool just a few minutes then stir again. Pour over brownies and spread out with a rubber spatula or offset spatula. Toss colored mini chips over frosting. Place in fridge for 10 minutes then let set up on counter. Should take about an hour or so. Slice into nice large squares and ENJOY!
Note: I found the best way to cut brownies is with a plastic knife. Try this, it really works well.