A little confectioners sugar is all you need, but the same cake batter can be used as a layer cake with your own delectable frosting.
Rich “Starbucks” Chocolate Snack Cake
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, plus 1 tbsp
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 packet of Starbucks Italian Roast Via (instant coffee)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp chocolate extract
- confectioners sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with butter/oil and 1 tbsp. cocoa powder. Coat evenly and shake off extra cocoa powder.
- Mix the instant coffee with the 1 cup hot water. Cool.
- Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add to the flour mixture: eggs, buttermilk, oil, chocolate extract, and coffee. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour the thin batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minuted, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- When served sprinkle confectioners sugar on top if you desire for a little extra sweetness.
This recipe was adapted from Fashion Central’s Black Magic Cake Recipe.