A holiday tradition that can be enjoyed year round. If you haven’t had chocolate cover matzo before, here’s a very easy recipe to try and enjoy!
A few weeks before Passover, all the great boxed desserts are out on the shelves in the markets. My favorite since I was a little girl was and still is “Chocolate Covered Matzo.” My mom would buy a few boxes before Passover and then again right before the holiday. This way we had some when they stopped selling this wonderful treat until the next year.
There’s nothing like crunchy matzo with dark chocolate. It’ so delicious. Since I became a food blogger, I started making this for family and friends during the holidays. The best part is, they sell matzo all during the year. Now I can make this anytime. This is a very easy recipe. Give it a try much away on this decadent, crunchy, sweet and salty treat. Happy Passover to those who celebrate.
Chocolate Covered Matzo Crackers
Yields about 24 pieces
- 2 whole boards of egg matzo, you can use plain matzo too. (For a non Passover treat, use 24 saltine crackers)
- 1½ cups good quality dark chocolate chips, you can use milk chocolate or even white chocolate.
- 1 tsp coconut oil, not melted
- 1 cup assorted candy pieces, such as M&Ms or kosher products they sell in markets
- 4 tbsp colored sprinkles
- 2 – 3 tbsp white nonpareils
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, this is optional
- Place wax paper on a small cookie sheet, lay two matzo boards next to each other. Set aside.
In a medium microwave safe bowl, add chips and coconut oil. Leave out 2 tablespoons of chips before heating.
- Heat on high for 30 seconds. Take out, mix with a small rubber spatula or spoon. Put back into microwave and heat at 20 intervals until just about melted. Mix between each heating time. Try not to over heat the chocolate. Mix in the last two teaspoons of chips. They should melt in while mixing into the warm chocolate. Stir hard to melt the last bit of chips and make the chocolate and shiny.
- Pour chocolate over matzo, spread evenly with an offset spatula or small rubber spatula. Toss on sprinkles, candies and nuts if using.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes or fridge for 30.
- Take out of freezer or fridge, place on counter for 5 minutes then, break up into uneven shards.
Dig in and enjoy the deliciousness!