Cauliflower “Fried Rice” – This is now a favorite recipe in my house. Tastes just like fried rice you are used to only healthier using cauliflower. Try it soon and enjoy!
Recently I was introduced to all the many delicious and healthy ways to enjoy cauliflower. A friend told me about a recipe she made from a frozen bag of cauliflower that comes already riced. I knew it was something I needed to learn more about and to try some new recipes using this everyday vegetable.
I grew up eating cauliflower. That and broccoli. Up until an adult these two veggies were not a favorite at all. But, the usual ways for me to prepare these two were to stir fry, boil, steam or roast in the oven which by the way is delicious on it’s own. Getting back to “riced” cauliflower. People are making mashed potatoes, cream sauces. A whole new range of recipes from this simple everyday veggie. The recipe here is now a favorite. Oh my, I make this once a week or more. Once in a while I add cooked brown or white rice to the dish. No one knows which is the real rice. Sometimes my family likes this as the main course so, adding chicken, shrimp or any meat makes it a perfect balanced dinner. Sometimes we add tofu to keep the dish vegan. This basic recipe is so simple and very versatile. Add in more things that you like or enjoy just as it’s shared here.
Cauliflower “Fried Rice”
- 12 ounce frozen bag riced cauliflower
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 -2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 – 1 tsp fresh minced ginger or use ginger powder to taste, about 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
- 2 – 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen diced carrots
- 3 tbsp fresh diced red and green pepper, optional
- chopped parsley, optional
- 1 egg or egg white, for vegan leave out
- Microwave cauliflower pouch for just 1 minute to break up and soften just a little.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium. Add garlic and ginger. Stir.
- Add in frozen peas and carrots to warm up. Add whole bag of cauliflower rice. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and cook another minute or so.
- Crack the egg in a separate bowl, scramble just a bit. Move the mixture to the side of the skillet then add the egg. Turn on high just until the egg is completely cooked. Turn back to medium low and combine the egg with the rest of the mixture. Plate up and add parsley if using. That’s it! Enjoy the delicious goodness!