Submitted By: Lillian Russo
With the warm summer days approaching I’m always looking for new cold dishes to prepare! I love fresh tomato recipes, especially when garlic and mozzarella are involved! So I came up with this cute and delicious way to serve a caprese salad!
Caprese Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 4 Tbls. minced red onions (about 1/2 of a small red onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbls. chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbls. grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ozs. of mozzarella cut into very small cubes
- Wash tomatoes and slice off the very top stem side.
- Remove the hard center core at the very top.
- Using a pairing knife gently remove the insides of the tomatoes, being careful not to puncture the sides of the tomatoes. You want to leave a thin wall of tomato flesh so that the tomatoes don’t fall apart or collapse.
- Chop the tomato parts, that were removed from the inside of the tomatoes and place them in a medium sized bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and chill for about 1 hour.
- Then place equal amounts of the filling into each tomato and serve cold.