I was happily requested to pull this recipe from my archives when my husband began working with a longtime friend. He remembered me baking them 10 years ago and loved them. Once I baked them my kids chimed in that I need to make them again. Peppermint has become one of their favorite flavors.
Candy Cane Biscotti
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup finely crushed peppermint candy canes, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 oz. white chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Toast almonds in a single layer on a separate baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt – set aside
- Beat sugar, butter, water, peppermint extract and eggs in a large bowl with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup crushed candy canes and almonds. Beat on low speed until just blended.
- Divide dough in half and shape in two thin logs almost to the length of the jellyroll pan. Allow about two inches on each end for expansion. Bake for 30 minutes or until the center of the logs are firm to the touch. Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the logs diagonally into 1/2 inch slices. Place on a cookie cooling rack that you have set into the jellyroll pan. Bake 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Dip each cookie into the melted white chocolate then into the remaining crushed candy canes. Place onto wax paper until the chocolate has set.