These cupcakes are a huge hit with anyone who has had one. You are sure to love them and you don’t want to miss out on the most delicious, fluffy cinnamon frosting. Remember to take a big bite and enjoy!
I just love this time of year. There is a slight chill in the air, the leaves start to change color and harvest baking begins in many households. I love sharing recipes with friends and walking over to neighbors’ homes to bring them a fall treat. This cupcake recipe is one I’ve been making for many years. I remember bringing them in to my daughter’s kindergarten glass for a “Harvest Feast Party” All the kids and teachers loved them. These are an autumn tradition around here and now, I send them to my daughter up in college for her and her roommates to enjoy. How time flies! Bake up a batch and taste the flavors of the season.
Cake Mix Harvest Cupcakes with Creamy Cinnamon Frosting
Yields: 18 frosted cupcakes
Nutrition: 165, fat 3.5 g
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box vanilla, white or yellow cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites from large eggs
- 1/2 can pumpkin — not pumpkin pie filling; pumpkin should be the only ingredient listed on the can
- 4 tbsp butter — melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1 heaping cup marshmallow fluff — mist a measuring cup with cooking spray for easy removal
- 1 heaping cup whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 to 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tin or paper liners in cups and set aside until ready to fill.
- Pour the dry mix in a large mixing bowl. With a wire whisk, loosen up the mix. Start adding all of the ingredients one at a time, and stir with a rubber spatula after each addition.
- When all ingredients are incorporated, change over to a hand held mixer. Mix for about 2 to 3 minutes until nice and fluffy looking.
- Cover the bowl with foil or plastic wrap. Chill batter in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Take out of the fridge and fill the cupcake tins. I used an ice cream scooper. If you don’t have one, use about 1/3 cup batter for each cupcake. You should have enough for 18 cupcakes.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes; turn pan around after about 12 minutes for even baking. Cupcakes are done when a wooden skewer or toothpick comes out clean or with dry crumbs.
- Cool pan on rack for about 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool on rack until completely cooled.
- In the meantime, place all your frosting ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix until fluffy using a hand held electric mixer.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, frost each one. You will have enough frosting for each cupcake. Decorate with your favorite sprinkles and enjoy!