This time of year is so much fun in the kitchen. Everyday my kids and I are either baking or making other Halloween treats for family and friends. These orange cupcakes were so much fun to make. My son Josh helped me with these and there was frosting all over both of us after we were done frosting them. Then, one of his friends came over and he was so proud to hand him one of his creations. These are so easy to prepare. Using a cake mix is a great time saver. Also, frosting in a can is just the easiest to color for the perfect holiday treat. Have fun with this recipe, the skies the limit to the decorating.
Cake Mix Bright Orange Halloween Cupcakes
Servings- We got 27 cupcakes out of the batch. Sometimes it’s 24. Use a 1/3 cup measure for best results.
- Box white cake mix
- 1 can plain seltzer
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 -2 tubs white frosting, or 1 large tub should be enough for recipe
- food coloring
- sprinkles, decorations, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place foil or paper cupcake liners in two 12 cupcake pans or a 24 cupcake pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, dump mix and with a whisk, break up any little clumps. Add the rest of the ingredients except frosting and food coloring. Mix well to combine. You can use an electric mixer and beat for 2 minutes or whisk by hand. Make sure you use a rubber spatula to dig down deep and incorporate all dry ingredients into the wet.
- Add food coloring as per box for desired color. Cake batter and frosting use different amounts so, make sure you read the label. Mix well with a rubber spatula so no streaks are present.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, pour batter into prepared tins. Bake for about 15- 17 minutes. Check after 12 minutes. Tops should spring back and dry crumbs should be on toothpick when tested. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Open frosting tub, add food coloring right into the frosting tub. Remember to follow the directions as to how many drops for the right color. Mix well with a small rubber spatula or spoon.
- Frost away and have the best time! Happy and Safe Halloween!
Note: Highlighted ingredients are the ones I used for this recipe.