I received this delectable recipe from my dear friend Carol. When I found out that her mom has been making this since 1963 I knew I needed a copy.
So glad Regina got the recipe from her friend Carol. Now we all can make this and serve to family and friends. You can see just from the photos how rich and dense this cake is. Well, it tastes amazing! It’s one of our most popular cakes on here. It may not be skinny but, we all deserve a really good occasional indulgence once in awhile. Bake one of these delectable cakes soon, serve to the ones you love. I’m sure everyone is going to be asking for seconds. ENJOY!
Butter Rum Cake
Ingredients: Servings about 10 to 12 or more…
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Optional – confectioners sugar to sprinkle on top
Butter Rum Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tbsp rum extract
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees and grease the bottom of a 10 inch tube pan or a bundt pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Combine the buttermilk or sour milk with the vanilla. Add to the butter mixture alternately with the dry ingredients. Blend well after each addition with an electric mixer set on low speed.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 60 to 65 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched in the center. Use a thin rubber spatula along the edge and stem of the pan. Then prick the top of the cake with a fork to prepare it for the sauce.
- For the butter rum sauce combine in a saucepan the sugar, water and butter. Heat until butter is melted (do not boil). Stir in rum extract. While hot pour over cake.
- Cool cake in pan until you are ready to serve it. After you remove the cake sprinkle some confectioners sugar on top.
****Just a note..this cake is great for a food gift. I bake a few for friends and neighbors during the holidays. It’s always a huge hit.****