Submitted by: Crystal Sykes
This is another recipe that I’ve been wanting to tackle for a long time, and now that I have, I’m excited to create tasty variations on this first draft. And in no way do I mean that this recipe needs revision, by calling it a first draft. It’s really tasty. I’m also surprised by how easy it was to make. Making veggie burgers at home has been kind of an intimidating enigma in my mind, which is why I’ve put it off for so long. It’s too bad that I have put it off, because if I hadn’t, I probably would have a lot more versions now!
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 15.5 oz can of black beans
- 1 15.5 oz can of garbanzo beans
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 3-5 carrots shredded
- ½ cup frozen or canned corn
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Drain and rinse the beans, and add to a bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork until about two-thirds of the beans are mashed. You want to keep a little of the bean texture in the patty.
- Add the bread crumbs, corn (rinsed), shredded carrots, spices, and egg.
- Mix well. You will notice that after I shredded the carrots, I cut them crosswise to make them bite-sized. This makes for a crunch in the veggie burger. If you want a smoother texture, use a cheese grater to shred the carrots. It’s not necessary, but you may mix the ingredients a before you add the egg and spices.
- Form the mixture into patties.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add a small amount of olive oil to the pan. When the pan is hot, cook the patties until well browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Serve hot by itself, or on a thinwich.
Note: This calorie count does not include thinwiches or bread.
This is a pretty easy recipe to throw together. I hope you give it a try! Until next week, SPFers! Stay happy and healthy.
For step-by-step pictures view the original post.