These brownies are so fudgy and gooey, you won’t believe what the secret ingredient is to make them that way. A can of black beans! By making this recipe with the black beans you add fiber and moistness with no added fat from the oil or butter that is usually in brownie mixes. The whole family loved them and when my neighbor tried them she wanted the recipe right away so she could make them for the big football game that night. Try this easy recipe and let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did (and will again very soon)!
FYI: I added Junior mints to this batch. They were so delish! The nutritional’s include the mints.
Nutrition: calories 154.4, fat 1.5 g, carbs 33.1 g, fiber 2.4 g, sugar 21.3 g, sodium 160.6 mg, protein 2.4 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 4
Black Bean Junior Mint Brownies
Makes 16 nice size brownies
- 1 box Fudge Brownie Mix, I used Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate
- 2 tbsp Hershey’s chocolate syrup, I used Special Dark Syrup
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 serving Junior mints (put in fridge for a half hour to harden, then cut them in 2- 4 pieces per mint – 16 pieces)
- About 1/2 cup water (or more if you need when pureeing the beans)
- 4-5 tbsp semisweet or bittersweet chips, I used this….
- Colored sprinkles for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, have an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 square baking pan ready and sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a small electric food chopper/blender /food processor, blend the beans with 1/2 cup water until mostly pureed. If you need more water, add 1 teaspoon at a time; we don’t want this watery.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the brownie mix (minus 2 tbsp, you will use this for the mints) beans, vanilla extract and syrup and mix well. Make sure all the powder from the mix is fully mixed.
- In a small bowl mix the 2 tablespoon of brownie mix with the mints and coat the mints with the mix. Now add this to the batter and stir gently.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter and bake for about 30-40 minutes. Do not over bake.
Enjoy this yummy, sweet treat!