If you have never tried arugula you must! It’s delicate lettuce leaf with a slightly bitter, slightly sweet taste. That’s the best way to describe it. At least for me. It’s a great base for any salad. This salad was really easy to throw together since I grabbed leftover veggies from the fridge and tossed them on top of the packaged arugula. Make one up soon along with the simple, tasty dressing.
Arugula Pecan Salad with Simple Balsamic Dressing
Servings 2 large main course salads or 4 small salads
- 1 bag prewashed arugula lettuce, regular or baby arugula
- 2 cups chopped veggies, I used carrots, red onions, cabbage, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and jicama. (Find chopped veggies at your local market in the salad bar section)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed is best
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp zest of orange
- 1/2 – 1 tsp sea or kosher salt, taste test
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp honey, optional
- In a large bowl layer arugula then layer all chopped veggies on top.
- Add cranberries, and almonds on top.
- For dressing; add all ingredients into a jar with a tight lid and shake well. (keeps in fridge up to two weeks, you will have leftover, makes about 1 1/4 cups dressing)
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss. Plate up and enjoy this tasty delicious salad.
NOTE: Add sliced grilled chicken, steak or fish for added protein. For vegetarian, try some grated cheese of choice. For vegan, add some tofu or beans.